Prior to travelling to Papua New Guinea, it is best to seek up to date medical advice from your local GP or travel doctor.
- Tetanus / polio / MMR / Hep B = standard.
- Hep A / Typhoid / Cholera = PNG essential.
- Yellow fever / Japanese encephalitis = Non essential for PNG
- Tb / BCG = only effective at preventing TB meningitis in children <5yrs, not recommended for adult travellers
– check with your local GP or travel doctor, however common regimes:
- Doxycycline – daily dose, cheap, effective, but caution sun sensitivity / pregnancy
- Malarone – daily dose, expensive, used in paediatrics and pregnancy
- Mefloquine – weekly dose, caution mental health interaction
- WHO website: http://www.who.int/en/
- Dr Deb in Brisbane – book “Travelling well”